Though Central Congregational Church was founded in 1909, the origins of this congregation stretch back to the colonial period.
We are looking forward to building our historical library and archives! Please check back in the near future for additional details about our church’s rich history.
53 people amicably separate from the First Religious Society over a disagreement about a successor to Rev. John Lowell. They establish the Third Religious Society.
The congregation purchased land on a private way (today's Titcomb Street). They built the first building facing the river. It was made of wood with a steeple.
The congregation established a committee to prepare the new building. The old building was demolished. A crowd gathered in Brown Square to watch the removal of the steeple. Construction began on the new brick building.
The new building was completed and dedicated in March 1827.
On March 9, 1860, we changed our name from the Third Religious Society to North Congregational Church.
In 1862 we dedicated the new Hook Organ (opus 310).
On April 28, 1909, the North Congregational Society (1768), Whitefield Church (1850), and Prospect Church (1793) united as one congregaton to form Central Congregational Church.
The young Central Congregational Church renovated and rededicated our building.
In 1931 we dedicated the Bliss Memorial Window, the Mary Sumner Doors, and the Christian Endeavor Pulpit.
On May 15th, 1932, nearly 200 people were gathered in the sanctuary when the ceiling -- a recently constructed false ceiling -- began to collapse. Frank Jaques and the Rev. Harry Grimes made a quick decision to evacuate the sanctuary, so nobody was harmed. But...
In 1953 the renovated sanctuary, with lovely stained glass, was dedicated
In 1969 Central's steeple was rebuilt at a cost of $130,000. Part of the appeal of the project was that only three steeples remained in Newburyport. Other churches, including Old South Presbyterian, Immaculate Conception, and Baptist and Methodist Churches, had...
Music has always played an important role in the history of Central Congregational Church in Newburyport. From its founding as North Church in 1768, to the creation of Central Church in 1909, to the present day, instrumental music and singing have enhanced worship,...